Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Sierra Cascades – 8/21/2013 – Hood River to Government Camp, OR

 

We’re already been in places with no breakfast, at least not early enough, we’ve stayed in places with no air conditioning and today will be another ride with no place for lunch – but tonight we’re staying in something called GOVERNMENT CAMP?  What? A WPA facility?

WIKIPEDIA, the source of all knowledge, tells me this is on the MOUNT HOOD SCENIC BYWAY. We’ll see if it’s worth the climb and if the accommodations are up to my standard.

2013-08-21 09.35.00

Mount Hood was visible much of the day and by different angles as we passed by.

 

 

I started the morning with a flat rear tire.  We were already later than I wanted but this only added 10 minutes to our departure.  There was a piece of wire in the sidewall, obviously something I picked up the day before while riding on the shoulder of Interstate 84.

This was a DIFFICULT RIDE. I didn’t feel particularly good and my legs were toast.  I was the last rider in. Brenda beat me by an hour.

I considered getting in the van.  In my 40 years of cycling, I don’t think I’ve ever gotten in the van.  But I was tired.  So I was debating with myself what I’d do if Alison found me.  Fortunately by the time she off-loaded the luggage and came back I was within 3 miles of the peak and had calculated I could complete the ride by 3:45 or 4:00. I actually arrived at 3:44.  How will I feel tomorrow? It’s 69 miles and 3,900 feet of climbing.

Miles today = 46, Elevation gain = 5,524. Total miles = 298, Tot Elevation gain = 18,292

1 comment: