Sunday, April 29, 2018

2018 Greece 12

Today’s scheduled ride wasn’t particularly long or hard, even if the trip out was mostly up-hill.  At 2.5 km, I had a flat rear tire.  The bike outfitters told me that we had 2 inner tubes since our wheels are different diameters.  But when I opened the trunk bag I saw only one tube, one to fit Brenda’s wheel.  No problem, we can patch the tube.  It took a while to get the tire off and when we did, we could not find a hole in the tube.  So, what’s happened?  We reinstall the tube and tire, pump the tire up and start to get on and the tire is flat again.

So we start walking back to town.  But suddenly I had a thought: the trunk bag seemed pretty big to have only one spare tube.  And sure enough there was a bottom compartment which had the spare tube I needed.  So we take the wheel off again and install this tube. We get it back on the bike and for some unknown reason, the brakes are rubbing the rim.  So it takes me more time to adjust the brakes.  By the time everything is sorted out, we’ve probably lost an hour. After some discussion, we’re back on the bikes and back on the ride (uphill).  But the grades get steep and the temperature rises (86 degrees).  So we turn around, not completing the ride.  I need my eyeglasses adjusted and it’s lunchtime in Kissamos.   Unfortunately, the eyeglass place doesn’t have staff that can make the adjustment until Monday.  No photos today.

1 comment: