Monday, September 9, 2013

Sierra Cascades – 9/09/2013 – Sorenson’s to Bear Valley

 

The GirlsYesterday’s blog stated today’s destination was Walker; it was actually Bear Valley. But it still had 5,400 feet of climbing;  some switchbacks reportedly with an 18% grade.  Maybe it’s good that I’m in Dallas. Internet and cell service in Bear Valley is poor.  Hopefully it will be better in Murphy’s and we can get reports for the blog.

Craig left the group on Saturday and I left on Sunday.

That means Andy, Chuck, Larry and Steve have to take care of – put up with – 14 women.

You lucky guys.

 

Brenda’s report: 

2013-09-09 08.37.282013-09-09 11.46.17This was by far the hardest day (48 miles and 5,435 feet of climbing).  Steepest climbing.  Some of the signs indicated 24% grades which I assumed was the inside of the hairpin turns.  I took the outside of the turn, even if I had to go completely to the other side of the road but even then I felt my front wheel lifting a couple of times.  Ebbett's Pass was pretty along some rivers with waterfalls but it had some short steep 15% grades.  Mostly my computer will not give grades above 11 or 12 % but occasionally I would see higher numbers.  The steepest parts were on the Pacific Grade.  Some on straight road it looked like going up a wall and also on the switchbacks.  Pacific Grade was about 2 miles long.

I didn't take many pictures.  I was behind everyone because of the gear problem early on.  I finally remembered that I could put the chain into the front Granny ring manually then figured out that if I was off the back and picked up the rear wheel, it would shift into granny.  Sweet Patrice rode with me the entire uphill.  That was very nice since she is so much faster than me.  Bear Lodge is pretty much a dump, old, old, old.  We did have a decent dinner and breakfast was just okay. 

Miles today = 48, Elevation gain = 5,435.  Total miles = 1,163, Tot Elevation gain = 69,436

WHO’S RIDING?  (BRENDA’S BIOS)

2013-08-29 16.26.21KRIS AND CHUCK CARLSON (Dallas, TX) Chuck and Kris have been married 44 years!!!, the longest of any couple on this trip, although some of the others are 35 and 32 years.  Is this longevity a part of cycling or something else? Maybe tandeming!  Chuck was a copy writer and graphic designer for 27 years, some of these years he was self employed. Kris was with JC Penny company for 34 years and worked in district and regional positions then was promoted to VP and Director of Support Services. They moved to Dallas when Kris was promoted to the corporate office position.  Although they log a high percentage of their biking miles on a tandem they both have done plenty of single bike riding.  Kris has done RAGBRAI twice and Chuck once. Chuck has also ridden Oregon Bicycle Ride (OBR) 7 times. One of his proudest accomplishments was to ride Vatternurndun, in Sweden. This is a one day ride of 300 km with 16,000 riders. It took him 12 hours to complete the ride. Chuck and Kris are the coordinators for the Dallas Area Tandem Enthusiasts (DATES) and they lead day rides for this group.

1 comment:

  1. Some corrections: I was a copywriter, but not a graphic designer. The ride I did in Sweden was the Vätternrundan -- a one-day 300km circumnavigation of the Vättern, a large lake in south central Sweden. The ride typically attracts about 16,000 participants.

    ReplyDelete