Thursday, June 12, 2014

French Gardens 10: Epilog (EPI-BLOG?)

 

TGV

 

I realized than I need to revise my previous impressions of Francs as mentioned in “French Gardens” Introduction”.

But first we must mention that France is REALLY EXPENSIVE. Maybe all of Europe is. Our breakfasts today, either in the hotel or the airport, were $20 each. And, on Monday, in the hotel bar, two gin and tonics were about $60, or $30 each. These prices will sober you up quickly. Or break you if you keep drinking!

But today’s France, is not the France I remember from 10 or more years ago:

  • The loooooong meals, the fancy and buttery sauces, the fourth or fifth course of cheese seen to be gone. Most restaurants offered a two or three course meals. And only one time did I have to sit through a cheese course.
  • But the most important thing I noticed was the apparent change in attitude of the French people. On every previous visit to this country I encountered rude and condescending citizens, particularly those who interact with the public (e.g. wait staff). But this time it was totally different; everyone - EVERY waiter, every hotel staff member, every taxi driver, and others – were friendly. This was a very refreshing revelation. Maybe, some day, we’ll return.
  • Via la France.

No comments:

Post a Comment