Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Blogging Software Sucks (Ranting and Raving)

My blog is through BLOGGER, free software from Google.

  • Blogger is an internet based service which allows writing, editing and publishing blogs.  It requires internet connectivity.  It is not friendly and does not provide much in the way of formatting.
  • Ever since my first blog in 2009 I've used Microsoft's Open Live Writer (OLW), a PC based software which allows preparing blogs off-line - and then sends the blog to BLOGGER.   It also provides much enhanced formatting, particularly for photos.
  • When I started to blog for this trip, I discovered that when I attempted to publish a blog with OLW which has photos I would get a meaningless error message.  A little research revealed that everyone else experienced this starting in January.  People proposed solutions to this but none worked for me.  So I've been writing this blog with BLOGGER instead of Open Live Writer.  People who have been following my blog for some time may have noticed that there are never 2 photos on the same line this time - a result of using BLOGGER.  
  • Last night I wrote yesterday's blog including photos.  I was almost ready for Brenda to edit it but decided to add one sentence. I typed the first word "For " and the screen went blank, the blog disappeared.  The backup copy which BLOGGER keeps was also blank.  So my hour or more of writing the blog was for naught.  I'm not sure I have the energy to rewrite it.  Maybe I need a drink.

1 comment:

  1. Not only that John, but some of what you write is in black font (why when most is in white??), which on a black background makes it a tad hard to read -- but possible if you look hard!!

    ReplyDelete