Saturday, June 8, 2019

to Gosfort

We leave Twice Brewed  but not in the manner we anticipated.

What do you do if you're travelling by bicycle, it's raining, the temperature never exceeds 55 degrees and the wind is blowing 19 mph?  You hire a mini-bus with a trailer and an extra cab.



Only 5 of our 25 rode their bike today.  We were not among them.  I may not be smart, but I'm not stupid.

You won't find many references to our destination, Gosfort.  It's only claim to flame is as a suburb of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

BTW the day before yesterday I neglected to tell you we had left Scotland and entered England.  Can I be blamed?  They look a like.  But fear not, we'll be in Scotland again in a day or two.

Newcastle-upon-Tyne,  commonly known as Newcastle, is 133 miles south of Edinburgh, 277 miles north of London and 8.5 miles from the North Sea.

I'm sure I've been to Newcastle before but can't remember when.  In the late afternoon we took the taxi to Newcastle and wondered around.  I was intrigued by the many bridges over the River Tyne, a few of which are shown here.




We found a pretty good Italian restaurant, ZIZZI, for dinner.  There is a wood fired pizza oven in the background.  Tomorrow is the longest day of the ride, 61 miles.  Some of us are going to shorten it by 20 miles with a train ride.




No comments:

Post a Comment