Friday, June 7, 2019

to Twice Brewed

The other day our guide mentioned another town.  "Once Brewed".  I thought he was joking but apparently not.

The weather today was excellent but that's all that was excellent.  I got lost.

At a "T" I turned right; apparently I should have turned left.  Brenda knows I'm somewhat directionally challenged.  So here I am in Scotland, or maybe England (we're close to the border) totally lost, with no cell phone (I lost it in Glasgow.) and no water (Brenda is carrying my water because my bike doesn't have a bottle holder).  Eventually I come to Carlisle, probably 20 miles from our route.  So what do I do?  Find the TI and ask for help.  The clerk suggests a bus but can't find out if the bus will take bicycles. So I walk to the bus station and find out they don't.  Back to the TI and he calls a Black Cab.  They agree to do it for a reasonable price and I end up at Twice
Brewed Inn four hours before the others.

One of the paths today was what mountain bikers call "single track".  In our case it was less, maybe one-third the width, of a single lane road.  And because of yesterday's rain the route is primarily dirt/mud.  It's a good thing our rental bikes have wide tires.  Not much fun.



As we get near Hadrian's Wall the scenery gets really beautiful and dramatic.  The hills are large and the valleys very green.










No comments:

Post a Comment