Tuesday, June 11, 2019

to Berwick-upon-Tweed

Before leaving Bamburg we visited the Maritime Museum.  A waste of time I you ask me.   But before we left town I took a photo of the church.  Brenda:  I thought the Maritime Museum told a story about a brave family, particularly a young girl, that exemplified extreme bravery is a high wind rescue. John: I thought it was a waste of time.





The main “attraction” today is the Holy Island, a holy place of prayer and pilgrimage, founded by St. Aidan in 635 AD.  There are remains of a Priory and church, St Mary’s, which was founded by St. Aidan in 635 SD.








 Today’s ride was challenging, if only 36 miles.  The primary difficulty was the pavement, or lack thereof.  As I told a couple of riders “If I wanted to cycle on cow paths, I could have stayed in Texas”.  Brenda:  We rode on rock, dirt or grass for at least 10 miles today.  It was exhausting.





2 comments:

  1. I thought vacations were supposed to be fun not challenging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brenda and John!!

    I'm so happy to see you both are on a trip - in fact, two back-to-back trips!!! It's been a challenging year - and it brings a huge smile to my face to be able to read your acerbic remarks John. :) BTW, I'm with you about riding rocks, dirt and grass for 10 miles. Where were the real roads????

    Alison

    ReplyDelete